Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Something old, Something new......

You know the old saying when you get married:

"Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue."

Well, I am putting my own twist on it. I am using this saying to insire my creativity when making my layouts. I try to incporporate these 4 "somethings" into my page...

Something old: This is a way for me to use my old stash. You know, the stuff you bought months ago and never got around to using it.

Something new: (My favorite area!!) This lets me use the new stuff that I just cannot wait to use. It also inspires me to try a new technique.

Something borrowed: This allows me to scraplift ideas and not feel guilty about it!! I can steal just a part of a layout or the whole thing!

Something blue: This makes me think about color. This is the hardest one for me, because I am such a "matchy-matchy" person. I try to use colors that I may not ususally put together.

Here are my first two layouts:
Something old: I used the cloth "togetherness" sticker. It matched the tones of my page to the tee. What a great find!

Something new: These new plastic flowers by American Crafts. I dont get to use lots of flowers with my boys so this was so fun!

Something borrowed:Took advice from Ali Edwards and used my own handwriting on the page.

Something blue: Okay, the orange flowers dont match the paper "exactly", but I used them anyway and I love the different shades together!

Next layout:

Something old: I used the skinny brown Chatterbox stickers for my title. I forgot how much I love them!! I also went through my rub-on stash and found some rubons that matched my page. Yeah~ Love using up that old stuff! I also placed rubons on my photos~something that I used to do, but somehow got out of the habit.

Something new: I bought this new green ribbon from May Arts. I love ribbon! I also used my new journal box stamp from 7 Gypsies. It makes a great addition to the page.

Something borrowed: I copies Amanda's technique of covering chipboard and cutting it out with my exactoknife. I love the way that it turned out! Thanks Amanda!

Something blue: I dont do a lot of monochromatic layouts, so it was a little stretch for me to use the light green cardstock background with the darker green chipboard. It turned out well, and I really like the contrast. I also added blue rubons to some of the photos. The blue is a total contrast and it draws attention to the color of my boys clothes.

2 comments:

Lori Jolley said...

ohhh! very fun idea!!!! Maybe this should be something to include in your new book? I'm going to try this!!!

lishajeanne said...

Hey this is Lisha Hansen--the "new girl" at ETM. I love your blog. Lots of great pics and I am going to use this great idea now. When you get a minute I have questions for you!